Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Where our predictions stand after the first month...

Correctly picked Games
Ryan 9
Josh 6
Offord 7

April awards
AL MVP Cano
NL MVP Ethier
AL CY Young Liriano
NL Cy Young Jimenez
AL ROY A. Jackson
NL ROY Heyward/Freese
AL WILD CARD Yankees
NL WILD CARD Giants

Some notes:

**Ryan you never put up predictions for awards and post-season predictions for the National League**

Best and Worst predictions
- Josh was the only one who believed the Rays would be better than the Sox. I was on the fence, but it is looking like he nailed that one.
- Speaking of the Red Sox, I said Dice-K's return would make a positive impact... oops.
- My pick of Brantley over Austin Jackson for AL ROY was ill advised.
- I think we all forgot to take into account the Dodgers' off-field issues... they are quickly becoming on-field issues.
- I definitely was high on Usbaldo this season and actually picked him second behind Lincecum for Cy Young. Should be fun to watch the battle between those two and Halladay.
- Ryan was dead-on with his Volquez prediction - he is definitely looking like the next Mark Prior.
- However, his pick for Jake Peavy as best pitcher in the American League is not looking so good.
- Three out of four of our consensus last place teams - Athletics, Padres, Blue Jays - are over or within 1 game of .500. But how long will that last?
- Does Ryan still think Griffey can hit over 25 home runs? And does he still think the Pirates can win 80 games??
- While Ryan leads the standings in correctly picked places, he also picked the Mariners and White Sox to win their respective divisions. I should probably deduct points for that.
- We were all very wrong about the Orioles.

Bold predictions for the coming months (pun intended)..(get it?)..(heading is in bold?)..(nevermind..)
- Jason Kendall will not finish the season hitting over .250.
- The Yankees will continue to get better since they are winning without much offense from Teixeira and ARod.
- The Cubs will find more ways to shoot themselves in the foot, and Gorzo will not keep pitching the way he is.
- The Mets are actually in decent position to make a Wild Card run since Beltran will be returning soon (I think) and the pitching hasn't been half-bad. But, they won't.
- The Rockies will be a sub-.500 team until September when their pitching staff finally wakes up and they win 20 straight again to nab the Wild Card spot.
- Jamie Garcia is legit. At least I hope so since he is on 2 of my fantasy teams.
- Francisco Liriano is not legit. At least I hope so since he is on 0 of my fantasy teams.
- It is only a matter of time until Andruw Jones gets a 50 game suspension. Maybe Konerko too.
- Kelly Johnson, José Bautista, and Alex Gonzalez have more homeruns than the Pirates starting lineup combined. I didn't even have to look it up to know that.
- Speaking of the Pirates, the best days are definitely behind them. I should just cancel my MLB TV susbscription now and try to get some sort of refund.
- Last but not least, Tiger Woods will switch sports and DH for Detroit. Think of the marketing!

5 comments:

Ngewo said...

Actually I made the comment that Volquez would be like Mark Prior. It's under your predictions.

Ngewo said...

Zach Greinke will lead the AL in all rate stats, but only win six games.

Ken Tremendous has an ongoing update for Nick Johnson, as of now he is on pace for 159 BB and 65 Hits...it cracks me up.

I think an argument could be made for Ryan Braun, average is about the same, plus he is racking up the SBs...

Both players have padded their stats against the Pirates...

J Offord said...

Ethier would win the triple crown if the season ended today..No contest.

But true. Ethier has no more games against the Buccos while Braun I'm sure has many, so advantage him the rest of the way.

And my bad on the comment. Figures the one time I thought Ryan got something right it actually wasn't even him.

Ngewo said...

when has Ryan ever said anything close to being right?

I did not realize Ethier was leading in RBIs until after I posted the comment...so yeah, MVP goes to him so far.

Be amazing if both players kept up at a pace like they are now...be a very fun season to watch. Since the Pirates will be eliminated in about a week...

Unknown said...

Did I forget to put up my award winners? I thought I did. try looking further back?

If I didn't this is how I see it now:

MVP: Pujols (its stupid to take him out of it right now...hes PUJOLS!)

Cy Young: I thought I picked Matt Cain, but now I will down grade to Zito...how bout ZITO!

ROY: Heyward

And now I see Peavy has turned it around the last 2 starts giving up only 2 earned runs over his last 15 innings. I think the white sox turn it around with Peavy getting stronger, and The pirates...yes THE pirates are still in the hunt for 80...how sad is that? I'm excited about 80 victories.