Monday, January 24, 2011

Reason no. 1,436 I am not the Pirates' GM

In continuation to what was said in the comments section;

In my opinion they have no chance this year no matter who they would have signed.

Here is what I would do; Draft Rendon, hope Sanchez and Lambo are ready for 2012, Allie and Taillon are ready for 2013, ditto for Rendon. Move Alvarez to 1B this season to get his defense ready, try out some young guys at 3B, maybe Josh Harrison or Farrell, give Pearce, Doumit, Diaz, Bowker, Presley, Jones, and Clement at bats, to see who, if any, should be starting at RF next season or should stay on our bench. Cut (explitive) Scott Olsen because he is one of the 5 worst starting pitchers over the last 5 years and give Lincoln, Morton, or Crotta a shot out of Spring Training. If they don't pan out, give Owens, Locke, or Watson - whoever has been pitching the best - a shot. They need to weed out some players and figure out the '12 and '13 rotations.

As much as I rag on him, Overbay is not the worst option in the world. I just cannot see any reason whatsoever to sign him in the first place. Why waste the money, even though it is not much, when you aren't going to compete. Does anyone think we can beat the Reds or Cardinals?? There are arguments that 1) he will improve the defense, which we sorely need at 1B, 2) if he plays well we could trade him, and 3) we didn't spend very much to replace Garrett Jones with a better all around player. Those are all fine and good. However, none of those answers the questions of how could Overbay push us over the edge in the short term, or how will he not hurt player development in the long term? He could tutor Alvarez at 1B, but I seem to be the only one considering moving him in the first place.

Again, this is why I am not the GM. If I was, they would probably win 30 games this year while losing another year with McCutchen. I am just hoping to see near .500 in 2012, and playoffs 2013. After that, we lose Cutch and are completely screwed.

3 comments:

Ngewo said...

I realize you are just joking about Overbay, and my little rant was more of frustration from what I read from other sites and on twitter. Or what my other friends have said to me in person or via text.

In all honesty, they probably do want him to help teach Pedro to play 1B. I think everyone sees that he will be a future first basemen. Also, they really have to pander to the idiot fanbase. They had to sign someone and not flush a ton of money down the toilet in doing so. I mean, if they came out and said they were not signing anyone and just going to give some AAA guys a shot, as much as we would like to see it, the remaining 30,000 fans would probably pack it up.

I do agree that 12/13 are the seasons to be aiming for, but you cannot just forfeit this season and say "hey everyone, we are not trying to be competitive, just trying to see what we have for next season." i am sure mlb would have something to say about that as well.

I apologize if I came off as a jerk.

J Offord said...

Not at all.

I agree that we need to field a 'competitive' team this year, because that is what you have to do as a franchise - to appease MLB and fans. If it was a video game though, the roster would look very different.

That is why I thought that MLB GM game might be cool.. but it wasn't.

J Offord said...

I must say.. this does not look good;

http://mlbmanageronline.com/en/