Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Pirates Preseason

Since no one responded to the movie post I put up, and spent a lot of time on, I assume interest is almost completely dead on this blog. But, if anyone still wants to discuss the Pirates please do.

I don't know if any of you read the PG Pirates Blog on a daily basis like I have for the last 2+ years, but the love fest Colin Dunlap has been giving to everyone makes it seem like the Buccos are going to win 120 games this year. Here is a summary of some of the players being talked about;

- Neil Walker is working hard at 2B and is looking fantastic, as well as his chemistry with Cedeno.
- Alvarez gained weight, but it is muscle so he should be fine. Translation - he will probably start camp out of shape and have a terrible first few months of the season.
- Tabata put on a lot of muscle and is crushing the ball to both Left and Right-Center. That I believe.
- Garrett Jones is slimed down. Not sure how that will help him because he seemed pretty slim before.
- Corey Wimberly is the next David Eckstein.
- Andrew Lambo is a future all-star
- Rudy Owens is looking excellent
- Jeff Locke is looking excellent
- Ross Ohlendorf works very hard.
- McCutchen is very fast and in run-down practice he could easily have beaten the fielders. Doesn't that say more about the defense?
- Morton is throwing a lot of fastball strikes. Translation - his ERA will drop from 7.57 to 6.57.
- Alex Presley has a nice compact swing. So did Mclouth, so we'll see how that turns out.
- Ryan Doumit is working hard on his defense, and so far is excelling. Translation - he will be an all-star catcher for another team.
- Matt Diaz is roping the ball and is good buddies with Cutch
- Paul Maholm increased his arm strength and is throwing 90 MPH now (just kidding...)
- Kevin Correia will shock everyone and finish as our ace. Translation - the rest of our pitchers are terrible.

That is all I can think of for now. I'm not saying he is lying or exaggerting in any way, but not once has he mentioned anyone looking bad. Do you think a beat writer covering the Pirates should be fair and balanced, or should he say the things that will make all the fans happy and delusional? In my opinion I would like to know which players have not progressed and what they need to work on so I at least have some idea of how they might perform this season. I know there are other sites that probably go over the weaknesses more in depth, but Dunlap has the most access to the team and should be in the best position to realistically evaluate players. Let me know what you think.

(Fantasy baseball time yet?)

4 comments:

Ngewo said...

sorry i did not comment on the movie post, i have not seen most of the movies though.

isn't that what spring training is all about though? optimism? other teams are covered about the same way. fangraphs usually does a piece highlighting the articles that say things like "he is in the best shape of his career" or "changed his swing over the off-season so it is more compact."

it would be nice to get some more balanced coverage, but it rarely happens

the one that i keep hearing though from all the different sites is the remarkable difference in tabata. i guess he really bulked up and looks like the type of hitter everyone said when we traded for him. that has me excited.

speaking of charlie morton, WHYGAVS is digging into what went wrong for morton. you should check out part one over there, if you dig reading lots of stuff about how his pitches moved.

Unknown said...

From the sounds of it, it sounds like the beat writer is just getting lazy and talked to a bench coach. Some of the information you posted sounds kind of promising, but your dialogue at the end of each statement was pretty amusing. I'm thinking this engagement thing is working out for you. It's made you much wittier.

Fantasy baseball will be starting at the end of March. I passed on your guys info to brad, so you will be receiving emails from brad. Josh did I ever give you a date for the draft? Because Brad still hasn't given me an exact date yet. All he knows is he is shooting for the last weekend before the season starts. But, if you guys are looking for me to 3-peat, I can get a league up and running in about 2 weeks as soon as I find the time. Sound like a plan?

J Offord said...

I do not know what you are talking about; I have always been a great, witty writer.....

Anyway, sounds good on the fantasy baseball, just let me know.

J Offord said...

Oh and if anyone took my comment about Tabata, that is wrong. I do believe he is crushing the ball and can't wait to see the numbers he puts up.