Saturday, March 26, 2011

Pirates Leaders

Alright Pirate fans. I was just curious as to whom you guys believe will be our statistical best. Which of our everyday players will lead the way to dominating that 19th season of losing. I want to know which players you think will reach their aspirations as statistical team leaders and receive huge pay raises in the coming years. I will post who I think will lead each category and a number in parentheses (x) next to their name. These are just a few major statistical categories, so if you feel like there should be one added, by all means place it in your comment:

Hits: Tabata (197)
Average: McCutchen (.312)
HR: Alvarez (37)
RBI: McCutchen (112)
Runs: Tabata (101)
SB: McCutchen (36)
OBP: Overbay (.401)
SLG: Alvarez (.522)
OPS: Alvarez (.858)

GS: Correia/Maholm (32)
Innings: Correia (208)
Wins: MacDonald (16)
ERA: Ohlendorf (3.68)
K's: Macdonald (185)
BB's: Morton (98)
Whip: Maholm (1.21)
Saves: Hanarahan (28)
Holds: Meek (22)

Though some of those stats look overly optimistic, I am only posting the leaders. I did not mention that I believe Alvarez will hit below .250 and lead our team in strike outs or that Walker will have a significant drop off and barely hit above .270. You guys know how I feel about Overbay so I think he will have decent numbers across the board, but the only one he will lead in is his best category as a hired "professional" hitter.

As for the pitchers, I would not be surpised if we have a pitcher who has an era in the low 3's with 3 pitchers under 4; or another pitcher who strikeouts closer to 200 batters, but it doesn't seem likely with Mortons past and how little we know about MacDonald. As for the saves, I think Meek is going to get more opportunities to close some games than we think, which is why I do not have Hanarahan in the 30s.

Alright guys, let me see what you think.

5 comments:

J Offord said...

I think your pitching predictions are grossly optomistic... Here are mine;

GS: Maholm (31)
Innings: Maholm (202)
Wins: Maholm (12)
ERA: Macdonald (4.38)
Whip: Ohlendorf(1.42)
Saves: Meek (16) (Hanrahan loses the job after about 10-15)
Holds: Meek (12)

Unknown said...

no batting stats?

J Offord said...

Nah. I don't really feel like looking up normal slugging percentages and the such to figure it out. I'll say no one hits over 30 HRs and no one has over 100 RBIs.

Unknown said...

oooo...rough. you are a strong pessimist my friend. And I just made up the slugging percentage.

Ngewo said...

Hits: McCutchen (175)
AVG: Cutch (.292)
HR: Pedro (31)
RBI: Pedro (96)
Runs: Cutch (99)
SB: Cutch (29)
OBP: Cutch (.378)
SLG: Pedro (.495)
OPS: Cutch (.833)

Wins: Middle Reliever (8)
ERA: MacDonald (4.02)
K's: Morton (179)
BB's: The Entire Team (1,000)
WHIP: MacDonald (1.51)
Saves: Hanrahan (31)
Holds: Meek (28)

I will try to be in the middle of you two.