Saturday, December 20, 2008

Complex Puzzle

Since next week is Christmas, and most of us will be out and about, and not checking the blogosphere, I decided to post up some trickier riddles or logic problems. I will not put up the answers to the riddles yet, I will do that with the answers to this one.

This first puzzle was told to me by a lady I work with at 5:30 a.m. I figured it out after a few minutes and was running on only a few hours sleep and had just finished working a fun midnight shift. So there is the motivation for you to at least get this one.

1. If you have six men and they each had six baskets. Each basket has six cats inside and each cat has six kittens. Assuming all are whole and healthy, how many legs are there?

2. I know what my job is,
The point has been made.
You say I have a big head,
And you're right, I'm afraid.
Put me in my place,
And then leave me alone.
Is someone to drive me home.

3. There is a town in Texas where 5% of all the people living there have unlisted phone numbers. If you selected 100 names at random from the town's phone directory, on average, how many of these people would have unlisted phone numbers?

4. How many three cent stamps are in a dozen?

5. If you divide thirty by a half and then add ten , what would your answer be?

6. A wealthy man named Richard Ellis had been counting his money.When he finished, he accidentally left a $100.00 bill on his desk. But when he returned for it a short while later, it was gone. Only two other persons could have seen the bill. One was the maid; the other was the butler.

The maid told him that she had hidden it for safekeeping under a green book that was on the desk. But when they looked the bill was not there.

The butler said he had found the bill where the maid had left it. He had placed it inside the book, where he thought there was less chance that somebody would find it. He had written down the page numbers so that he would not forget them. The bill was between pages 35 and 36, he said. But when they looked, there was no money in the book.

After Mr. Ellis had talked to the maid and the butler, he called the police. He was sure he knew who had taken the money. Who was it, and how did he know?

Good luck.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

1.6060
2.nail
3.100
4.12
5.70
6.the maid, she knew what the numbers 35 and 36 meant since she put the money under that book to begin with and tried to use the fact the butler touched the money last to incriminate the son of a bitch. A clever ruse.

jason's sense of said...

I'm going with:

1. 1,020 legs. There are 42 cats in each basket with 4 legs each. there are also 6 humans with 2 legs each. i'm not sure how killarney got to 6,060.

2. nail.

3. 100, unlisted numbers are not in phone books.

4. 12.

5. 70.

6. it was the Joker. kidding. i'd go with the butler. he has to be lying. first, why write down the page numbers? its a book, turn it upside down and the money will fall out. second, why did he find it under the book? he must have been watching. unless he's snooping around. if so, that's obviously not bringing me cocktails and snacks and answering my goddamned door... so he's not doing his job and should not be trusted. the maid should be cleaning stuff up, and she was. it was also stupid of him to admit that he had seen it after, because that just confirms her story and places the onus on him. if he had taken it, he should have simply said, "didn't see it" typically, complicated stories about how something happened are lies. that's a pretty safe assumption most of the time. i don't trust this guy at all...

Adam said...

1. 6,060
2. a nail
3. 0
4.a dozen
5. 70
6. this one involves too much reading

i'll take a look later... haha

The Gideon said...

1. Definitely 1020
2. Nail
3. None
4. 12
5. 70
6. It was the butler. There is no "between" pages 35 and 36. Unless he somehow shrunk the bill down to a subatomic level.

The Gideon said...

On a side note, I have a feeling the first question is worded incorrectly and the real answer is something like 2.

jason's sense of said...

i should edit my post, i misread 3., the correct response would be 0, since it asks for the number of UNLISTED numbers drawn.

J Offord said...

1 1020
2 A Nail
3 100%
4 12
5 70
6 Assuming the first page of the book is on the right side, 35 and 36 would be the same page so there could be nothing between it. It was the Butler since he was lying.

J Offord said...

Ah, I made the same mistake as Imler on #3. I had the right idea though...

Unknown said...

ya ditto on #3...and now i'm curious about 1, someone explain the math...i really thought the answer made sense in the fact it continues on with the "6" theme in the question as well. What i drew from it was 6 men with 6 baskets, each basket would hold 42 cats/kittens, so each man is holding 252 cats/kittens, which would be 1008 legs (which adding the 12 legs from the men, i now see where you got 1020) but you have to multiply that by 6 for the guys which would be 6048 legs, then add the 12 legs from the men, giving you 6060...that was my math and logic, if there is any

J Offord said...

Yup, 6060. I missed 6 baskets per man and assumed there was 1 per man. Oops. Too many seizures I suppose :/

Ngewo said...

Haha, I cannot believe that Kern, the glorified gym teacher (no offense) figured out the math problem before the lawyer and the stat guy.

Also good job to Gideon and Offord for figuring out the butler question.

Good thing we were not riding Blaine the Monorail when you all said 100, he would have taken us to our deaths. Only Offord gets that reference.

J Offord said...

The million dollar question is, do you know Eddie's joke that beat him off the top of your head?

I think it was something about a headless chicken crossing the road, right?

Unknown said...

I'll have you know, Math used to be my best subject in highschool. Took me a many higher echelon of math: AP Stats, AP Trig, Honors Algebra, and a week of Honors Calc until I dropped it because I tried to be too big of a geek senior year and had no lunch at the time. So, I was pretty superior at math and enjoyed the subject until I met you guys and the only thing that mattered math wise was the number of beers for the masses, pot odds, and how many inches close to your neck gideon would be if he threw his ninja stars at you. or maybe it was just college in general that drained my adoration for the subject.

Unknown said...

ooo ooo and i got it before gideon, isn't he an engineer or chemical physicist, or astronaut or something smart like that.

J Offord said...

He's an cowboy astronaut billionaire.

The Gideon said...

Yeah, i totally got that wrong. and its weird, too, cuz i think i did it 3 different times and got different answers each time. can't quite explain it. i think i was overthinking it since josh called it a "puzzle". it confounds me as to why this was even on here, since its just a math problem, and not a riddle at all.

Ngewo said...

It was really only meant to be something to challenge everyone. Mainly because someone told it to me, and I was able to figure it out, I wondered if everyone else was equal to my intellect...just kidding.

Offord...the one i remember was
"why did the dead baby cross the road? he was stapled to the chicken."

that was the point where blaine started to freak out and try to understand why it was a riddle...

J Offord said...

Ah yes. Dead baby. Stapled. Chicken. Got it.