Monday, September 21, 2009

A few thoughts for Monday morning

To start, I'm starting to lose hope that all the young "talent" the Pirates have been amassing this season is ever going to work out. I mean, what are the odds that enough of these players will turn into quality major leaguers, let alone do it at the same time? Maybe they have a shot in 2011/12, but I am finding it harder and harder to believe. That said, do you think it is now time/allowable to leave the Pirates behind and pick a new team. It would have to be East Coast, or maybe Central, so I can watch all the games. They can't be a major market team because that would go against all that I stand for, they can't be the Royals or Nationals under ANY circumstances, and they are preferably an up and coming team that doesn't have a hopeless future. Let me know what you think in the poll.

The playoffs in baseball are all but set, and it looks like the matchups will be the following:

NL
Philadelphia v. Colorado
St. Louis v. LA Dodgers

AL
NY Yankees v. Detroit
LA Angles v. Boston

Boston owns the Angels, and the Tigers have been stumbling, so we could see a Yankee/Red Sox AL Championship rematch. GAG ME WITH A F'CKIN SPOON.

In the NL, I am rooting for the Cardinals, just cause. Come to think of it, they are a potential new team for me (They are oddly enough #17 in payroll).

Moving to football, is it time to finally declare the NFC as the top conference in the NFL? New England is falling off, Tennessee got thrashed by Houston, the Steelers are meh but still a top team IMO, the Chargers and Broncos are not very good, so who does that leave? Baltimore and Indy, maybe NY Jets as contenders. How about in the NFC? I think you can make a case for NY Giants, Dallas, Minnesota, Atlanta, and New Orleans as possible Superbowl winners. By my count, that is 5-4 on contending teams, advantage NFC.

Lastly, how the hell did the Steelers lose that game (other than missing 2 fg's, which were on a wet field and somewhat understandable)? Oh how I loathe you, Jay Cutler.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel the same way about the Cardinals...I don't know, it's either because they have a great team history, albert pujols, or tony larussa. Maybe all of the above? But, I find myself rooting for them all the time. It could also be because Red's my favorite color?

Yankees vs. Phillies in world series, and as much as I hate to say this. Yankees win it this year. IMO, as you say; solidifying anybody on the roster who has a resume close to Hall of fame caliber: jeter, posada, pettite, rivera, rodriguez, and in 3 to 5 years from now, cano, texeira, sabathia, damon and matsui.

AS for football. Dallas is not a contender, and I'm going to keep saying this all year. Here's my tally:

NFC
Eagles, Giants, Minnesota, New Orleans and maybe Atlanta...so I'll put them at 4.5

AFC
Steelers, Ravens, Patriots, Jets, Chargers, Colts.

The titans were never contenders this year, I knew it from the beginning, the Patriots are slow out of the gate, but it is only week 2 of the season, and the Jets are legitimate.

So I put the score at 6-4.5, AFC still has the edge.

The pirates still have developmental stages to go for the next 6 months, which i think is plenty of time for a player to come into their own, maybe take a vacation and get back to it. Players i'm looking forward to watching next year: McCutchen, Adam Jones, Milledge, Tabata and 1 year with Neil Walker. Bye-bye andy laroche.

J Offord said...

I would easily put Cowboys over Eagles with the injury bug hitting Philly as usual. I would also take out the Chargers because they should have lost (lousy call for the Raiders) to Oakland. Without LT they have no run game, and I wouldn't trust Rivers in the playoffs on his own. No way. They might make the playoffs but they are not a contender, IMO.

As for baseball, I think if St. Louis can make it to the WS they could challenge the Yankees, mainly because of their pitching. Carpenter, Wainwright, Pineiro is a pretty good threesome. Not in that way...

Heroes premiere tonight. Anyone? Anyone???

Ngewo said...

It is tough to watch the Pirates right now, it's understandable, but I do believe the talent they have coming is good, and will contend. Think about this, people had to sit through this same thing watching the Rays develop, and then it happened...am I saying we are the rays, nooo, but we are seeing more talent than we have in years.

if you choose a new team, go to the AL. just be a yankee fan.

Ryan and I both agree about the Titans. Every year there is always that debate over which conference is stronger, and then by the end of the season it is all screwed up. I mean we say these are the contenders right now, but at the end of the year, the super bowl will probably end up being Bengals over Redskins...

Ngewo said...

Oh and Heroes is still on the air??? Amazing. I will be watching House.

J Offord said...

Yea I skipped it for How I Met Your Mother and football.