Friday, February 26, 2010

2010 MLB Predictions: AL Central

I'm sorry guys, I'm kinda bored right now and I have time to continue on with my predictions. So I am going to continue with the AL Central. What can you say about the AL Central? How about White Sox! White Sox! White Sox! I think they are going to run away with this division. I really don't think this is going to be close (but of course I am going to be wrong); Heres the AL Central Predictions:

White Sox
Tigers
Indians
Twins
Royals

The White Sox look absolutely perfect on paper. They have a stellar rotation, especially with a healthy Peavy; crazy depth defensively and offensively; and players who can play above average defense at more than 2 positions. They brought in the best defensive outfielder(andruw jones) and infielder(omar vizquel) from the last 20 years, and if Andruw Jones starts to rake, sheesh! Can you imagine how much better the defense up the middle is going to be this year? With young guys at second and short in their 2nd and 3rd year respectively, just think of all the information they are going to absorb from the future hall of famer. Detroit has a chance...to really struggle this year. They definitely have the quantity at starting pitcher, but its the quality i worry about outside of Verlander. Johnny Damon I don't think made them all that better, and if this team is going to improve at all offensively, Inge can't strike out so often, Ordonez has to hit atleast like 3 years ago and Guillen has to be healthy all season. I think the team that is going to take the biggest dive is going to be the Twins. I'm not at all impressed with their rotation and their biggest acquisitions in the offseason are a flimsy wristed second basemen and a short stop who's had more mental lapses than Shutter Island. I believe the Indians are better than people believe, especially offensively with a healthy Sizemore and an improving Cabrera along with Choo and the newly added Russell Branyan to add 30 home runs. The Royals are getting there and have a great future with a very talented and young pitching staff, but they need a lot of pieces to fall into place offensively...Jason Kendall?? I mean come on!

CDP: The Cy Young and MVP will come out of this division( I will have those when i finish both leagues, they will be included with my playoff predictions.)

2 comments:

Ngewo said...

Let me make a crazy prediction: Andruw Jones will never start to rake again. Unless MLB stops testing for PEDs, it's weird how his numbers dropped off after the '07 season...

Also, I do not believe that having a few veteran guys in there will have that much of an impact on those young guys.

J Offord said...

To add a few things since I completely disagree with everything in this post:

- Andruw Jones was DH'ing in Texas even when he was in the starting lineup. I'm pretty sure Marlon Byrd was starting in CF over him...That does not say much for his defense these days
- It is going to take Peavy some time to get back into the swing of things, and in the AL, that might be rough for the first couple months. After that, IF he stays healthy, he may bounce back and have an all-star season, but no way he wins CY.
- Scherzer is a legitimate star for Detroit
- Branyan will NOT hit 30 hr's this year. He might not even get 400 ABs
- I think the Twins rotation is actually pretty solid. Pavano is slowly getting his old form back, Baker is a potential ace, Blackburn and Slowey are good contributors. And with the Mauer/Morneau connection, there is no way they finish below 3rd in the division.

Even so, I agree that the White Sox could take the division, but not for the same reasons.