Thursday, February 18, 2010

2010 MLB Predictions

Nice predictions (Josh), I mostly agree. I think this is the toughest season in recent memory to predict because so many teams are looking good, in my opinion. In the NL, I would not be shocked if any of the following made the playoffs - Phillies, Mets, Braves, Cardinals, Cubs, Reds, Brewers, Dodgers, Rockies, Giants, D'Backs. In the AL, I could see the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, Tigers, Twins, White Sox, Angels, Mariners, and Rangers. That is quite a field of teams that have a shot. Since a lot of them are crapshoots for me, I'll probably get them exactly right, because when I am "sure", they are always way off.

NL East
Phillies
Braves
Mets
Marlins
Nationals

May be the best division in the NL when all is said and done. The Nationals have done A LOT to improve, and if Strasburg is half the pitcher they expect, added to Lanaan, Marquis, Wang, and Zimmerman, these guys could seriously push the Mets and Marlins. Don't forget though, the Mets have a healthyish Beltran and Reyes, to go along with Wright, Bay, and Santana. You can't count these guys out yet...just wait until August.

NL Central
Cardinals
Cubs
Reds
Brewers
Astros
Pirates

Cardinals are the clear favorite, but the Reds are up and coming. The Cubs will be in their consistent 2/3 spot, so the only competition will be the Reds trying to move up the ladder. If not this year, then next year the Reds will be second.

NL West
Rockies
Dodgers
Giants
D'Backs
Padres

The D'Backs get Webb back and add Edwin Jackson, but still have too much youth to make it in this balanced division. Any of the top 3 could make it, but I like Ubaldo Jimenez to lead the Rocks into the playoffs. The Giants just haven't done enough on offense to move up yet.

NL Wildcard: Dodgers. I like the Braves, but they didn't do enough to improve their offense, and the Dodgers have Matt Kemp.
NLDS: Cardinals over Dodgers, Phillies over Rockies
NLCS: Cardinals over Phillies
NL MVP: If Pujols gets seriously injured, then Matt Kemp.
NL CY YOUNG: Tim Lincecum
NL ROY: Pedro Alvarez ... j/k. Heyward if he gets a shot, Escobar if not. Travis Wood - SP Reds - is a sleeper.

AL East
Yankees
Red Sox
Rays
Orioles
Blue Jays

I really like the Orioles. If they were in the Central I might take them to win the division. Alas, they are not. Next year could be their year, but for now, the big 3 will be at the top again. Close between the Rays and Sox, but Lackey and Dice-K will push them over the top.

AL Central
Tigers
White Sox
Twins
Royals
Indians

This is a boring division, but the top 3 teams all have a decent shot. The White Sox have arguably the best rotation in the AL, but I think top to bottom Detroit's is better. Detroit will need its youngsters Jackson, Sizemore, and Raburn to really step up, and Miguel Cabrera to avoid bars.

AL West
Angels
Rangers
Mariners
A's

I think this will be the most exciting division in baseball and probably the closest. The Angels are steady as usual, but, if a lot of things go right, the Rangers have potentially the second best team in the AL to the Yanks. However, I think experience and consistency will win out down the stretch.

For the wildcard, like I said before, there are a lot of teams that have a shot. Because of experience, I will take the Red Sox, but I would not be shocked if the Rangers overcame them. If not this year, then next year we'll see Texas in the playoffs, especially if Harden turns things around and Netfali Feliz is as good as expected.

AL Wildcard: Red Sox
ALDS: Tigers over Red Sox, Yankees over Angels
ALCS: Yankees over Tigers. Surprisingly, the Tigers were potentially the best offense last year, now their offense is a weakness. Yanks are too much to overcome.
World Series: Cardinals over Yankees in an exciting 7 game series.
AL MVP: Alex Rodriguez (Adrian Beltre CLOSE second)
AL CY YOUNG: Felix Hernandez
AL ROY: Michael Brantley, OF, Indians. Only because I think Feliz starts the year in the bullpen. The Rangers have a lot of quality starters and I think Colby Lewis gets a shot at the 5th spot.

9 comments:

Ngewo said...

Do not fear, I will post more of a comment later, after work.

I did want to comment on the Nationals though, I do not believe that Strasburg will be up with the Nationals until at least June (avoid starting his clock), or next season.

I know everyone says how great he is, but he has barely faced any kind of professional hitting.

Ngewo said...

I am curious to see how badly Dusty Baker can screw the Reds up. He will find a way. I mean, Volquez will probably end up like Mark Prior. Now he can turn his attention to Cueto and Bailey. Haha...it would be nice to have the Reds young pitching talent mixed with Russell's patient fatherly approach at handling pitchers...

I have to argue against the Orioles, they have young talent, yet they do not have a clue which direction they want to go in. Its like they spent money this offseason just for the sake of spending money. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/the-winter-of-the-orioles

You realize that Ryan is going to orgasm when he sees your pick for Beltre?

So King Felix seems to be the consensus cy young. i guess he is just due for it.

J Offord said...

Yea I only through Beltre in there to make fun of Ryan...He will probably go .260 20 75 or something, at best.

J Offord said...

As for the Orioles, how can you not like this lineup?

Roberts
Ad. Jones
Markakis
L. Scott
Tejada
Wieters
Atkins
Reimold
C. Izturis

Plus 3 potential star pitchers in Matusz, Bergesen, and Tillman who just need a little experience. Meh, we'll see. I think I just really want them to do well.

Unknown said...

Like i said in josh's post, I'll put up my predictions in a couple weeks after i see a few spring training games.

Offord: It's threw, not through. And i agree with you on the O's, but the thing that bothers me, is they have 2 proven, totally consistent players in their line-up. Roberts and Tejada. Weiters still has a lot to prove, atkins pretty much shit the bed last year in hitter friendly, thin aired colorado, why does anyone think he'll hit in baltimore? And luke scott...what can you say about luke scott...not much to be honest.

Josh: Nice jab their about beltre...i like to be risky in my predictions. Just wait til you see my crazy divisional predictions. I'm so excited! Oh. And I don't like Felix for the Cy Young

J Offord said...

My mistake on the grammar faux pas. Luke Scott has 2 quality seasons (OPS > .800) under his belt in Baltimore and why shouldn't he be able to pull another couple when he's only 31? Atkins I think was an anomaly last seasons, I mean, how can a player just lose it so badly? A new team will help his rebound. Adam Jones is good he had an awesome first half last season and he is only 24. And how can you not throw Markakis in the proven hitter category? He is in the peak years of his career. I think they could outscore the BoSox.

I can't wait to see who your Cy Young pick is. **Spoiler alert** It's Justin Duchscherer.

Ngewo said...

Ryan: it is there not their.

Offord...i always remember Luke Scott being the guy that blocked Hunter Pence for like half a season at Houston. Actually the O's lineup does not seem to be the problem. They are young and will have their struggles, but they will hit just fine. The young pitching is a huge question mark though.

On a side note, have you guys checked out the major projection sites for the upcoming year? Such as CHONE, PECOTA, etc.

They all seem to say that the teams are going to be better, no team below 70 wins (actually the worst I have seen so far is the Pirates at 72-90.)

Just found that to be interesting, since Offord was saying about how excited he is for the upcoming season because so many teams could make the playoffs...

Unknown said...

offord: totally redeemed yourself with the faux pas. Nice!

Josh: my bad, practice what i preach. I will, as im sure offord will as well, edit my posts from here on out. Sorry offord for my abhorrent understanding of grammar.

What if i just have a post per division instead of it all at once? Would you guys be cool with that? Then you could poetically bash every division i post one-by-one.

Ngewo said...

Ryan...as long as you do not stop after one division like you did last year...

Also, it's no big deal if you edit comments or posts. I only made fun of you because it seemed funny to me. Correct Offord, then make a mistake like one sentence later. I am by no means perfect, I use a commas and passive voice like a champion.

Also, we are lacking in fantasy people, are ruskin and singer playing this year? get them signed up, that will give us 8. Where the hell is gideon???