Friday, February 26, 2010

2010 MLB Predictions: AL East

When it comes to parity in the Majors, I believe every team is starting to field respectable professional ball club to remain competitive within the sport, especially in the National League. When it comes to the AL East however, as much as I would like to rain on the Yankees parade and say that Derek Jeter not being guaranteed a Yankee's contract this year would portend the downfall of the franchise and sink them to the bottom of a very competitive division (for second place); every written word would be no more than literary carrion. We all know the Yucking Fankees are the best team in baseball as much as all of us Pirates fans hate to admit. A 200 Million dollar payroll does that for you. So without further ado, here are my AL East predictions:

Yankees
Red Sox
Orioles
Rays
Blue Jays

I hate the Yankees, but despite losing Godzilla and Damon, I think they may have gotten even better. They improved on the defensive side of the ball with Granderson and he is going to bring a little more youth and sizzle to the line up. They brought back Javier Vasquez to the Rotation, AS THEIR 4TH STARTER! He is a potential number 2 starter for any team in the majors and could possibly be a number 1 for any number of NL teams(the pirates). At the same time, I think that is his greatest fault. He is definitely a better NL pitcher than AL, so i guess we'll see the turn out for the yanks with him. I came real close to swapping the positions of the Sox and the Rays, but the Red Sox have the best pitching staff in the Majors. They worry me though because I think they have too many offensive question marks outside of Pedroia and Youk and I think it will hurt them. I don't trust the Rays pitching, or the O's for that matter, but I think the Orioles have such better offensive potential despite, in my opinion, only 2 or 3 consistent commodities in the line up. The Blue Jays have an all star second basement...?(like how i did that)

Crazy Division Prediction (CDP): Either the Red Sox or Rays will lose an early season MVP candidate and it will determine who finishes second in the division. Derek Jeter finishes second in the MVP vote, Carl Crawford has 75+ steals for the season.

1 comment:

Ngewo said...

I was going to really question the statement "He is definitely a better NL pitcher than AL..." Mainly because I wanted to hear your reasoning.

Then I pulled up all his stats (yes, the majority of which you do not look at, but I think you can understand, since they are really not stats, just types of balls hit...)

And then I noticed that it's not so much NL/AL, it's just, consistency. t looks like every season he either has great defense or terrible defense. He gives up tons of flyballs, or tons of groundballs.

Even the projection models for next year cannot really agree on what kind of season he will have.

So, the whole point is moot.