Thursday, September 11, 2008

First Post - Ineptitude of the Pittsburgh Pirates

Since I was talking about this the other day, I figured I'd start a post. I know Gideon has no interest in the Pirates, but I none-the-less need to vent. I mentioned something about a top 10 worst transactions the Pirates made since 1992, so I will give you my list (had to make it top 15...). Also, I wanted to mention, in light of Tim Lincecum's amazing season, the player's taken after the Pirates' drafted Brad "broken armed Abe" Lincoln, the following were drafted: Brandon Morrow, Andrew Miller, Clayton Kershaw, Tim Lincecum, Max Scherzer, and Joba Chamberlain, among others. Thank you Mr. Littlefield for that last bit of sh*t you dumped on our faces. On to the list:

15. 3/31/04 Released LHP Joe Beimel.


14. 2/20/98 Signed Pat Meares as a Free Agent.


13. 1/18/00 Signed John Wehner as a Free Agent (for like the fourth time...).


12. 12/20/02 Acquired RHP Matt Herges from the Montreal Expos in exchange for minor league pitchers Chris Young and Jon Searles; Designated RHP Jim Mann for assignment.


11. 1/4/06 Signed OF Jeromy Burnitz to a one-year contract with a mutual option for 2007.


10. '93 Named Cam Bonifay General Manager.


9. 2/24/04 Signed Raul Mondesi as a Free Agent.


8. 7/30/01 Acquired OF Armando Rios and RHP Ryan Vogelsong (assigned to Triple-A Nashville) from the San Francisco Giants in exchange for RHP Jason Schmidt at OF John Vander Wal.


7. 11/1/00 Signed Jason Kendall to a 6-year $60 million contract.


6. 7/31/07 Acquired RHP Matt Morris from the San Francisco Giants in exchange for OF Rajai Davis and a player to be named.


5. 12/10/00 Signed Derek Bell to a $9 million contract.


4. 7/22/03 Acquired IF Jose Hernandez, minor league RHP Matt Bruback and a player to be named later from Chicago Cubs for 3B Aramis Ramirez, OF Kenny Lofton and cash considerations.


3. 3/6/99 Signed Kevin Young to $24 million contract.


2. 10/26/92 Barry Bonds granted Free Agency.


1. 7/13/01 Named Dave Littlefield General Manager.


Other Notables

3/8/07 Unconditionally released OF Jody Gerut.

1/31/03 Designated RHP Bronson Arroyo for assignment.

12/28/01 Traded OF Gary Matthews Jr. to the New York Mets in exchange for cash
considerations.

7/3/01 Designated OF Emil Brown for assignment.

12/16/98 Signed Ed Sprague as a Free Agent.










6 comments:

Ngewo said...

That is a pretty good list. I would have to change some of them around though. I mean, Barry Bonds was not going to resign with the Pirates, and they could not afford to pay him $7 million a year (how funny does that sound now?)

And it is a good thing they resigned John Wehner. Where we would be now without his awesome commentary, like about how this one time at Altoona, he and Adam Hyzdu once played a prank on Craig Wilson...oh so funny.

J Offord said...

And how he gives advice to home run hitters when he's hit like 1 in his career...

I only put Bonds' there because it was the beginning of the downfall; the start of "small market teams", the day that parody died in major league baseball suffered most cruelly by our Buccos, and the most glaring moment in Pittsburgh's long baseball history - it let us know we'd never play the Yankees again unless it was a 3 game meaningless series in mid-June...(I just teared up a little).

Ngewo said...

Haha, I understand (although I think you meant to say parity, but parody does describe how the Pirates have been since that moment.)

Four career home runs! Hell Wehner is more famous now for eating in the all you can eat seats...

Allison said...

I just wanted to post on this blog. I wish I had gone to more of the Buccos of Suckitude's games this season because sometimes they give out good free crap. And I like to watch the pierogies run. That's the most exciting part of the game.

J Offord said...

Oh man, and who could forget Randall Simon knocking out one of the sausages in Milwaukee? Sadly that is the most memorable positive moment the Pirates have had in the last 10 years...

By the way, searching through the Pirates transactions the last 17 years or so was possible the most depressing thing I've ever had to endure...That said, there were actually a decent number of good transactions they made. But that would sort of ruin my whole post wouldn't it?

Ngewo said...

Anyways, I wanted to go back over some of these ones.

15. Did I miss something about Joe Beimel? I remember him being okay that one year (same with Sauerbeck and Boehringer), and then sucking after that.

6. I would mention that we picked up the Morris contract, making him the highest paid Pirate. I hope you did not mean it was bad that we lost Rajai Davis...

And the only good transaction aside from this year, probably Brian Giles to San Diego for Bay and Perez...