Thursday, January 29, 2009

Last NFL Post of the Season (and some baseball news)

SUPERBOWL XLIII

So we have whittled the field down to 2 teams, and the ones standing could not have possibly been predicted at the beginning of the season, let alone the last week of the season! I must express my disappointment that we have to face off against the Pittsburgh West Cardinals and not the Sh*tville Eagles - I would have much rather beaten the McNabb and co. scumbags than have to take on our own affiliate, but alas, it is done. It is difficult for me to bad mouth the lovable birds, so I'll just say: they had no run game all season and they are facing the best run defense in the league; forced to pass, Polamula will be able to double Fitzgerald and probably make a big play or 2; Kurt Warner has fumble issues when pressured; Arizona's defense gave up 56 points to the JETS, and in total their defense averaged a terrible 25.3 PPG against non-playoff teams...even while playing St. Louis, Seattle, and San Francisco 6 times!!!; Arizona's pass rush is not so great and Ben has shown what he can do with time in the pocket; FWP is looking good and could tear up a decent but suspect Arizona DLine;

That said, I do not like underdog stories when your team is the favorite. Cardinals 34-27

(OK, I know...but if I pick the Steelers they will probably lose)

Other things:

1) Check out this game baseball lovers

2) First MLB Power Rankings will be posted tomorrow. I will do one each month up until the season starts, then every 2 weeks roughly.

3) Projections still show Nyjer Morgan starting over Monroe. Did Morgan ever show that he could play in the majors? I don't understand why he is so highly touted by management...

4) Charlotte, NC needs a baseball team! Well, until I found out they are securely Braves fans. WTF? Will I hear Francisco Cabrera, Sid Bream, and Barry Bonds jokes the rest of my life? I don't need to relive that atrocity daily...

UPDATE: Just found this little doozy of a website...looks like the Steelers have better odds than I thought...

8 comments:

Ngewo said...

I believe the Steelers will win, but I do think the Cards will score first...

People seem to love NyMo's speed and flashy catches, but he is nothing spectacular. I believe he is just a stop gap until McCutchen is ready to take over...

J Offord said...

I really think they should just start McCutchen...why not? How many times have you seen the Pirates "wait" for a guy to develop in the minors, then get up to the pros and be terrible, or never even make it. It's not like they could get much worse if he struggles for a while, heck we let An. LaRoche start all those games last year...but whatever, I can't make those decisions until I buy MLB Front Office Manager. We should all buy it and see who has the best first season with the Pirates, and so on.

Ngewo said...

A good example of rushing someone up was Jose Guillen. He was able to overcome it after a few years, but there are plenty of cases of guys who get rushed up. They then lose confidence and basically pan out...

Unknown said...

I'm in for the game, I won't be able to get it until I get my tax return since i haven't gotten a job yet. So, the first week of february. It looks like a sweet game!

Steelers win

I say fuck NyMo and McCutch, sign either Sosa, Bonds, Abreu, or Griffey and put butts in the seats. Butts in the seats is what's going to save this franchise, not fast little acrobatic black guys.

Unknown said...

And by save, i mean bring out a winning season. Butts in the seats means more revenue. More revenue equals higher Payroll. Higher Payroll equals better quality team, most of the time. Better quality team equals winning season. Winnings seasons lead to playoffs. Playoffs lead to world series sooner or later, some of the time.

J Offord said...

You dream.

Ngewo said...

Kern...i hate to always be the one to disagree with you. Okay, who am I kidding, I love it.

Sosa? You really think he would bring "butts to the seats." I feel like your plan is like the Gnome plan.

Step 1: Hire shitty old outfielder.
Step 2:
Step 3: WIN!

How many people are going to come to the games each night to see someone like Sosa, or Griffey? Those guys are not going to make a difference. Instead it would be a waste of what little money the team does have, which it has been putting to good use over the last year. Developing more Latin American baseball schools, paying draft picks more, and trying to develop the minors.

We are not going to win with Griffey, Sosa, Bonds, Abreau. We need to have the next crop of Uptons, H.Rams, Lincecums coming out of our minor league system.

J Offord said...

One can dream...*looks off in the distance*