Monday, January 19, 2009

Oscar Season

Hi all. The Academy award nominations are coming out on Thursday, and I must say I am way behind on my movie viewing. Mostly because I only have my gf to go to movies with nowadays and not other people interested in "good" movies, but I digress. Of the most highly regarded films this year, I have only seen "The Dark Knight" and "Gran Torino."

The movies I would most like to see in the coming weeks include "The Wrestler", "Slumdog Millionaire", "Frost/Nixon", "Milk", and possibly "The Reader" because I heard Kate Winslet shows full frontal, but I suppose that's a bad reason to see a movie(in theaters).

Of the two I've seen, they have both been fantastic, but I have to give the edge to "Gran Torino." I don't think we really need to discuss batman too much, everyone has seen it and has their own opinions, but I doubt as many have seen Torino. I went basically because Clint Eastwood is awesome and just wanted to hear him say "Get off my lawn," but the movie was fantastic. At times, the foreign actors' dialogue was a bit rough, but Eastwood steals the show and in the end leaves you teary eyed. Everyone I was with was either crying or pretending they weren't, so you know it's a powerful movie. I don't know if it is enough to win the Oscar, but I definitely think it deserves to be nominated. It is not getting much love, though, from the predictions I'm reading, so only time will tell.

Now we all read Josh's review of "The Curios Aging of Brad Pitt," so I'd love to hear anyone's reviews on the other possibly nominated films.

And oh yea, GO STEELERS!!! What a freaking amazing game that was...

2 comments:

J Offord said...

Well I am pretty much outraged that Eastwood and Gran Torino got 0 nominations! He definitely deserved a Best Actor Nom, people were even talking about him winning! And "The Reader" in best picture? WTF! Now I definitely have to see that...

Ngewo said...

I agree that Clint got snubbed for Gran Torino, which reminds me I need to write about my thoughts on the movie...